Saturday, February 7, 2009

Announcing REST support for Spring MVC 2.5

Recently I started researching how to create RESTful web services. I looked at JAX-RS/JSR-311 (Jersey), Restlet, and several others. All of them left a bad taste in my mouth for reasons I won't go into here.

Since I have been a long time fan of the Spring Framework and Spring MVC, I looked there too. Spring 3.0 is supposed to have "full" REST support. I looked at Spring 3.0-milestone1 and regret to say that I was not impressed. Maybe I didn't dig deep enough or maybe more REST stuff will show up between now and 3.0-final. One can always hope.

In the mean time, I decided to see how difficult it would be to add REST support to Spring MVC 2.5. It turns out it wasn't too difficult. I have started a SourceForge.net project and published an initial framework. Please check it out and let me know what you think. The documentation is a little sparse at the moment but its coming along.

Website - SourceForge.net Project

No comments:

Post a Comment